Tuesday, March 2, 2010

1950's Culture


Culture boomed after World War II, creating the American Dream. A suburban lifestyle made owning an automobile a necessity. Because of the rise in the cars on the road, drive thru and drive-ins became popular. Numerous highways and lifestyles were created.
New products opened a new market, which included washing machines, dryers, blenders, freezers, and dishwashers. Many people bought them on credit as well.
Entertainment was a large part of 1950's culture. Televisions started off as a small box with black and white pictures, but shortly after, new broadcast systems were created. Shows, such as "I Love Lucy" and "The Texaco Star Theater", became enormously popular. Kids shows were also created, such as "Mickey Mouse Club." Movies became more increasingly popular and by 1954 more than 50% of movies were in color. However color television, which became available at the same time, did not become widespread until a decade after.
Rock n' Roll emerged with the African American Culture. From this, Elvis Presley became "The King of Rock n' Roll."
The rise of entertainment brought stereotypes along with it. Women were always stereotyped as the ideal mother or wife. Male characters usually outnumbered female characters for 3 to 1. Minorities were also rarely ever seen on television. TV portrayed a white America.
- Alice and Shany

4 comments:

  1. A little short but great picture to go with the topic. Over all a good summary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The change in culture is very interesting in how the media changed the kids lives. It seems like the culture changed very rapidly. I also watched "I Love Lucy" but I didn't know that it was in this time period.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Honestly, I wish I lived in the 50s. Except I'm not sure about the White America and stereotypes part, that doesn't sound too good to me. Great post anyways I love reading about culture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woo! What a great post! I loved the picture at the top, it was a great representation of the times! With the cars and movies all in one! Also, I really appreciated how specific you were with all your details! I only wish that you had covered fashion in the 50's!
    Great Job!

    ReplyDelete